Light: april fools, subtitle hijinx
I'm suffering from a 'bout of LOF (liberal outrage fatigue, common among redstate democrats). This post is going to be light. It's April 1st, after all. This site doesn't participate in April Fools hijinx but be sure to check out other people's April Fools jokes. Sabbah talks about some of Saddam Hussein's amusing pranks, such as announcing in 1998 that Clinton lifted the embargo against Iraq. Saddam was such a kidder; I'm going to miss him. The server might be slow today, but go to the top 100 April Fools pranks for more good ones.
Also, courtesy b3ta mailer: DVD piracy is rampant in China. How do the DVD pirates handle the subtitles? Sometimes, not very well. This B3tan shows a comparison between the English lines and the DVD pirate's translation. Here's a sample:
(when Jude Law's character is talking about writing obits)
Actual English: ..but I had no talent. So I ended up in obituaries, which is the Siberia of journalism.Anybody who hasn't "translated" an unsubbed foreign movie is missing out. It's like your own personal MST3k.
Translation: I love singing. I can sing many songs, including German folk songs.
There's lots of silly things in the news, like segway polo (exactly what it sounds like) and Pat Robertson getting splatted with salad dressing (check out the picture!)
Also, WTF is with CNN's pronouncement that The Pope is in "grave condition"? Rather tasteless pun, don't you think? No, I'm pretty sure they don't mean it that way, but when I first read it..


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home