Wednesday, April 06, 2005

News: Iraq, Tom Delay, etc

Big news day. Iraq's making some progress: they've selected a Kurdish president, a Sunni VP and a Shi'ite VP. I still do not understand why their government has two VPs. Was it designed so that power could be split rather evenly between the three major groups of people in Iraq, or is there another reason to have two VPs? Their parliament does underrepresent Sunni Arabs on account that some boycotted the election.
Tom Delay may have paid his family $500k of political fundraising money. He's also taken a load of really suspicious trips. Delay has always PO'd us Democrats, but lately this suspicious-looking spending has been getting to conservatives, too. His support in his Texas district has slipped: that's right, Tom Delay is *too crazy for Texas*. I wonder what the rest of the country thinks of him.
I went for sandwiches with a guy who had never heard of Guantanamo Bay. No, not what happens there..he didn't know there was a *place* that was called Guantanamo Bay. He'd never heard of Abu Ghraib. He'd never seen that now-famous image of the prisoner with the hood over his head, connected to wires and forced to stand on a box. He didn't know who John Ashcroft was, much less Gonzales.
How can somebody who lives in America, talks to people, watches television every day not know these things? Good lord!

2 Comments:

Blogger KL said...

Are you trying to play a late April Fool with your readers :)?? How can a person like that exist here? Even if he doesn't watch tv, he surely must have friends, relatives, family members who listen/watch and talk about them!!!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not fooling, this actually happened to me Wednesday.
I'm thinking about it now, and maybe it is possible. People don't talk about politics very much in real life. What's the three subjects not to bring up in polite conversation? Sex, religion, and politics? So I suppose that, if someone were to not watch the news, and if none of their friends were terribly political, it's possible to go around and not know what the hell is happening.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home