Friday, November 18, 2005

These boots were made for walking

A shoe designer is giving away swank tennis shoes made for border crossing. These shoes come with a built-in compass, a hidden pocket, a flashlight, etc.

These web polls are about as scientific as intelligent design, but 86% of the people who read that article thought that the designer was encouraging illegal immigration.

You know why I posted this article? Because it's the first time I've ever seen the American media acknowledge that American companies are recruiting people in Mexico. As in, going to Mexico and telling people that, if they come to America, they'll have a job.
Some people do come over here with no job waiting for them. Mexico has its problems, and some people really are so desperate. However, American companies are to blame for a lot of the immigration. They are the ones who are encouraging it. If the Administration really wants to lower illegal immigration, it will start cracking down on these companies.

As for the shoe designer, I doubt she's encouraging--it sounds to me like she's giving them to people who are already on their way over.

update: Yes, I've heard about the 125 illegal workers deported from a Wal*Mart construction site. We're really making great strides, aren't we. Notice that there's nothing in the article about anything happening to the employers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

They could stop that any damn time they wanted...IF they wanted. I see they could build a goddamn 20 foot high electrified fence for a measly 7 billion I think I read. I'm just amazed. Everybody screaming 'War on Terror' and there's...I don't know the figures...a million? strangers streaming across the border every year. Golly, if I was a terrorist I wonder where I'd try to get in. And they don't stop 'em. Is that screwy or what?

12:56 AM  
Blogger The Green Panda said...

I think it's about half a million a year. And rising. Those are the official numbers, but I'd wager that it's probably even more than that.

Even though I'm cynical, some things still surprise me--like that the Bush administration values big business more than national security.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home