Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Me, cynical?

The CS Monitor wants to know, how useful is US propaganda in Iraq?
Okay, paying Iraqi newspapers to put in stories that make us look good is wrong. I think we can all agree that if it's not illegal, it's at least sleazy as hell. It goes against what makes a democracy a democracy.

Now, some argue that the need for propaganda outweighs the ethics--but does propaganda really work when people know about it? Perhaps it is just my cynical nature, but if I were in Iraq, I'd now be extremely suspicious of any news of US military victories and the like.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mags said...

That's what they'd like for you to think anyway. Honestly, I find it amusing that the government thought that paying Iraqi newspapers to print our propaganda was OK. If they tried to do this in the States, they'd get so much shit for it. But since it's you know, "news" for a buncha "foreigners," I guess they thought it was no problem. Whatever.

10:14 PM  
Blogger The Green Panda said...

w/ regard to Kvatch,

Until it becomes a theocracy, of course.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home