Quickie on Big Tobacco (UPDATED)
Big Tobacco targeting kids? Old news. Big Tobacco targeting *women*? This is new.
UPDATE:
I've found more information. According to the AP, the invention of slim/ultra-light cigarettes was the result of big tobacco targeting women. They even toyed with making a chocolate-flavored cigarette (putzes!) that would curb the appetite.


3 Comments:
Oh my god I love this: "We can safely conclude that the strength of cigarettes that are purchased by women is related to their degree of neuroticism," the paper cites one 1982 BAT document as reading. "Women buy cigarettes in order to help them cope with neuroticism." It all makes sense now. I may never be able to quit!
Good thing that I never started smoking then, because I'm neurotic as hell--no ultraslims for me.
When they mentioned chocolate-flavored cigarettes, I had these two thoughts simeltaneously: "how stereotypical can you get? Marketing choccie-flavored cigarettes to women? I suppose they'll be pink." and "Chocolate? Mmmmm, chocolate."
I've tried to smoke and it just didn't do it for me. I have no idea why.
Dizzy, stinky and pooh pooh. Nope, not interested. Believe me if it made me feel groovy I'd be doing it. And no pink ciggies for me. THey'd have to be classic white w/brown "cork" tip. the only way to do it...unless you've got one of those cool and funky cigarette holders. Then I could look like a 40's movie star. Yeah....maybe I'll try it again...
J/K
A barnyard cab or a Jack and Coke will do fine by me.
Post a Comment
<< Home