Depressing Story of the Day:
The CS Monitor reports that the Congressional Budget Office estimates that the Iraq War will have cost us $600 billion by 2010.
No. No goddamn way that we're going to be in Iraq in 2010. This isn't just about what I think. Support for the Iraq war has been fading fast, and recruitment numbers are down. Worst thing, though, is that we're not winning, unless you think that losing less guys than the other side counts as winning. Invading a foreign country and installing an entirely new system of government has been harder than we thought. Iraq is still so dangerous that even the medical personel are packing heat because doctors keep being murdered by fake patients, and the quality of life is still rather poor.
My bet is that America's second Viet Nam will end in the same way as the first. Hopefully it will end a lot earlier than 2010.


3 Comments:
Oh! I hope not that again 60,000 soldiers will die as they died in Vietnam :(:(:(...too saad..I really don't know what's the solution in Iraq will be. Even though American soldiers are not being killed, but tooooo...many Iraqis are getting killed. I can only think of creating something like Great Wall of China along the borders of Iraq (as they are telling that all the militants/insurgents are entering through borders), but I don't think that's possible in those deserts of Iraq :(!!
The religious ultra-conservatives otherwise known as the Taliban without the sand (said by columnist John D. Anderson) will have to retreat to their apses and naves and the liberals now called progressives will have to stiffen their spines.
It's hard to predict what is going to happen with Iraq. It looks like the place is descending into sectarian civil war. I doubt we will ever be completely out of there considering that we are building about eight permanent military bases there.
Post a Comment
<< Home