Wow, high school has changed
Some guy in Wisconsin was ticketed $249 for wearing a dress and dirty-dancing at his prom. How dirty was it? I don't know, I wasn't there, but I've never heard of somebody getting fined for *only* dirty dancing. If the guy did something else then fine, but the article doesn't say it.
When I was in high school, part of our spirit week involved drag. It wasn't officially a drag day, but a great many otherwise-straight guys could be seen dressed as cheerleaders. And this was a conservative high school in a conservative state. I do not think that any guy ever showed up at our prom in a dress, but if one had I wouldn't have been that surprised.
Is this an isolated incident or something more? I'm not really sure. High school is ridiculous. Mine sure was and I'll bet that everybody else's was either. You could fail for the year for missing more than three days in a semester, yet get a minor grade reduction for bloody plaigurism. Then again, there've always been folks who aren't really open to anything that doesn't fit into their narrow definition of proper, but lately they have been getting bolder.


4 Comments:
About 2/3 months ago, there was a report in the BBC based on some statistics done here and it showed that younger Ameicans (those who go to high schools) have become very conservative. So, no wonder such incidents are happening in schools.
Hmm, I have heard this too. I wonder why this is happening?
cb - kids rebel...doesn't matter what their parent's views are, they must rebel against their parents...parents are conservative? kids go liberal, and vice versa...my take anyhow...
I was thinking: perhaps the growing conservatism is because teens are getting more religious? The problem is, I don't know in what way the two factors are related.
Post a Comment
<< Home