Church + Politics
A preacher kicked out nine parishoners who did not support George W. Bush.
Why is everybody so surprised about this?
I've been to I-don't-know how many churches. A lot. Perhaps a hundred. Something I noticed about all of the protestant churches I have ever been to: one church, one race. One church, one socioeconomic class. One church, one political party. I suppose that's the way that many people like it. If churches already voluntarily segregate themselves, the next step is forced segregation, yes?


2 Comments:
Really? I've been to churches of various denominations in Kentucky but never noticed such things. Perhaps it was a small town or a college town or perhaps because I'm not a knowledgeable person about Church or Christinaity, that's why I couldn't notice such things. It would be really interesting to know more about this.
I don't know what to make of it either, except that it's true of nearly all Protestant churches I've been to.
Some possible explanations:
* People tend to go to churches that are close to their houses. Housing is sometimes pretty divided, so therefore the churches might be too
* People might stay with one church for many generations, so the demographics of churches don't change very fast.
It isn't true of any of the Catholic churches I've been to, actually.
Post a Comment
<< Home