Saturday, September 10, 2005

Will it ever stop? (Answer: no)

The latest steaming turd from the Bush Administration: a Halliburton subsidiary has been awarded the contract to clean up New Orleans. The Shaw Group (another of Joe Allbaugh's favorites) and Bechtel are also getting a piece of the pie.
I'm not even objecting to the Halliburton subsidiary because they are still paying Cheney. I object because Halliburton has been ripping off the military in Iraq. I don't trust them nor their subsidiaries.
Also, when was the bidding for these contracts? Doesn't the government normally bid on things like that? I don't follow business news much, but I don't remember hearing about any bidding going on.

Update: Yesterday I said that Michael Brown got canned. Blanton & Ashton point out that he is still very much employed. Thankfully, he can't do anything more to ruin the rescue efforts, but that idiot still has a job. What do you have to do to get fired from the Bush Administration? My gawd, it's like the friggin' mafia. Once you're in, you're in for life.

Update: Michael Brown has just resigned. Good for him.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because thou art lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spew thee out of my mouth.

This blog is ass-tacular

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Hatred! Nice of you to drop by. The topic for today is "Hurricane Katrina". Please stay on topic.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why aren't the majority of Americans as pissed off about this stuff as we are? I know that I pay more attention to the news than most people, but don't most people at least watch the 11 o'clock news before going to bed? How can somebody watch a story about Dick Cheney profiting off of Hurricane Katrina and then roll over and go to sleep? Because really, that's the problem. They get away with this shit because people are letting them get away with it.

11:17 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Oh yeah...and when asked what Michael Brown was going to do when he got demoted.."Have a margurita and sit by the pool" What a professional!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to Charlie,

Snipers? Blowing up levees? It's an exciting theory, I'll give you that.
Most of the Bush Administration's blunders with Katrina were a *failure* to act. The Administration didn't cause the 100+mph winds or the massive flooding, but FEMA's delays in getting people out, and the Administration's delay in sending out the national guard, cost people their lives. Are crimes of action worse than crimes of inaction? How should I know? Ask a philosopher if you care.

I also say that you don't have to cause something to profit from it. Halliburton didn't start the Iraq war, but it sure as hell is profiting from it and now it's going to be profiting from Katrina. Dick Cheney still gets money from Halliburton so by extension, he will profit from the Katrina disaster.

Now I don't mean to put words in your mouth so please correct me if I've done so but: do you think that we think that Bush and Co failed to act so that Halliburton and Cheney would get mucho moolah from the cleanup contracts? Because I don't think that at all. Number one because nobody outside of a James Bond movie could be that evil, and number two because the mucho moolah wouldn't be worth the nosedive in ratings.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironic quotation marks are so 1996.

I never said that the local and state governments weren't also at fault. You see me defending them? No.
I don't know why we argue about this. We both know that this all would have turned out better if all the officials in all levels of government had been selected at random. You'd have been a way better governor than Blanco, and I'm loads more competent than Michael Brown, may his career rest in peace.
I do focus a great deal on federal government. It's partially because I don't know very much about Louisiana politics, but also because the federal government is so powerful. There is so much more that they can do, so when they fail to act it feels much worse.

I also didn't say that Bush's environmental policies caused the global warming that made the storm stronger. A lot of people are making that point, but I'm not one of them.

I have no problem that Halliburton is profiting. Capitalism is great. I have a problem when they profit excessively at my expense. I have a problem that this was a no-bid contract (if no other company could have done it, why would they bother with having a no-bid contract?). Halliburton also has a poor track record with overcharging for shit. All I say is that I hope they're nicer to their stockholders than the American taxpayers.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home