Q: Why did Bush nominate an attorney w/ no experience in constitutional law to the Supreme Court?
What exactly does a lawyer who has never even been a judge have going for her?
A: Her religious beliefs.
At least the Conservatives will stop 'vetching. Okay, no matter how you feel about religion, I think that we can all agree that religion plays too big a part in politics in this country. It's getting to the point where it diverts attention from more important issues, like competency and experience. This has never been clearer than it is now: we now have a Supreme Court nominee who has strong religious beliefs going for her..and not much else. This isn't a brilliant judge who is also a Christian. This is a Christian who also happens to be a lawyer.
UPDATE: Barry Lynn (whoever that is) puts it better than I did: "We're picking a Supreme Court justice here, not a Sunday school teacher."


13 Comments:
I couldn't agree with you more! Bush basically comes right out and says to hell with you all, I don't care what you think,I can do whatever the hell I want! Pisses me off!
A Christian who knows the law-scary for some, satisfying for others.
And what are Roberts, Scalia, Stevens, Kennedy, Souter, O'Connor, Thomas, and Breyer? Islamic?
They're all Christians, but being a Christian wasn't an important part in getting nominated. Their knowledge of the law was. I don't think that's the case for Miers. She knows the law, but her background wasn't constitutional law. And she's never even been a judge.
His choice is so crappy that I wonder if he put her name out there so that everyone will bitch. Then he could put another name....who is much more offensive, but at least they would have bench experience. Brown comes to mind...and there are many more.
Mary, I'm fed up with atheists who want to silence my moral views-I guess we're about even.
Keep in mind d.elrod that "atheist" Doc Nos will fix your health problem even if you don't share his religious views.
Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if religion could stay in one's heart, home and church/mosque/temple/coven etc. and not be injected into public education, government, etc.?
For those who believe, it is special, personal, intimate and holy to them, but not to others.
Even religious people have problems with people of other religions. Everyone always thinks their religion's god is the best, no? If not why have a religion?
Why not have a big group of happy-go-lucky god lovers?
Abortion is a WOMAN'S right that may very well be taken away from her if things keep up. All this means is the rich will still be able to abort and the poor will seek unsuitable, unsanitary ways to rid themselves of the pregnancy.
Attempting to control specific internal organs, or forcing women to bear children they don't want is not the role of government. If religions choose this route, goody goody for them.
Last I knew, one could live in the USA without a religious affiliation and still have rights under the constitution.
delrod: one penis/no vote.
Doc: Thanks for always being sensible and fair and moral..whatever that is. You can treat me anytime.
MB: I hear you and agree... btw: isn't it a grand assumption that b/c your sick of religion being the shield of those unable to link articulate thought into valuable statements, that you're devoid of any spirituality?
I'm not Christian but I am religious in MY way...and I'm sick of Christianity being shoved in my face as if it's the only deal out there.
Open up to the big wide world people. It takes all kinds and there are all kinds.
Regarding the nomination...She's a crony and Bush loves sycophantic toadies. Where's the surprise there? I would not be shocked if a few other justices were bumped off..er stepped down or had untimely deaths in order to completely eradicate sensibility and a system of checks and balances of opinion.
Goddess forbid.
SIDEBAR. Doc: Are you not telling us something? Like Katie Holmes alien galactic xenu baby...are you pregnant and haven't shared the good news? Now there's a testimony to the power of religion if ever there was one.
I judged a science fair several times, so I'm thinking I should put my name in for the next opening on the Supreme Court. The draw back is that I have actually read the Constitution.
I took an econ class once, so I nominate myself to replace Greenspan.
I've got a flooded basement from storm we've been having for weeks up North. I nominate myself head of FEMA.
But do you have any experience with horses, LB?
Excellent. I'm from xenu (like tom cruise, katie holmes, john travolta, leah remini...) so I don't have to worry about that.
Post a Comment
<< Home