Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The United States of Denial

Before Hurricane Katrina, we were in a massive state of denial. Even though the poverty rate had risen once a gain that year, poverty was still something that happened in other countries. Once it dawned on America that not everybody who stayed did so out of a sick sense of adventure, things changed.

Well, for some of us. Some people never learn though. Like Congressional conservatives. Their response to the storm? Proposing to cut programs for the poor.
Once again, the talk sounded great. Bush talked about how the government was going to step in and help these people. Talk is always cheap when it's from a politician, but Bush doesn't just talk and then not do anything--he talks and then does the opposite of what he said he'd do. He and his people in Congress must have some major cajones to use Katrina as an excuse to royally screw the people who were hurt by it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Who was hurt by Katrina? Those who don't have an ounce of ambition? Those who would rather depend on a government check rather than their own hard-earned cash? Or was it the hard-working, tax-paying citizens of Wherever, U.S.A who will bear the burden of rebuilding a city run by and occupied by incompetents? People who put their kids into Katrina-like situations and refuse to make a living to support themselves and their families should be prosecuted and incarcerated as far as I'm concerned.


I'm sick and tired of supporting the poor who choose to be poor. I have a family of 6 to feed, clothe and provide shelter for. Why should I be paying for some woman's family who has kids so she can recieve more tax-payer funded welfare?

New Orleans can kiss my ass! I hope the city sinks into the swamp-then I won't have to worry about paying for more incompetence!

6:37 PM  
Blogger The Green Panda said...

People are poor because they want to be poor? People are poor because they lack ambition? I'll put it this way: since 2000 or so, the poverty rate has risen about 1.5%. That doesn't sound like a lot, but there's 300 million people here, so 1.5% of 300mil is about 4.5 million people. Four and a half million people who were doing fine five years ago now aren't. Because they suddenly lost all their ambition, right?

11:10 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

And they all live in New Orleans?

8:48 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

I was a little harsh in that comment, wasn't I?

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First point: It doesn't matter if they all live in New Orleans. All I was proving was that people can be poor for reasons other than laziness. Economic downturn. Oh and don't forget that even though all Americans get free education, they don't get equal education. There's a huge difference in the education we give rich kids and the education we give poor kids.

Second point: Rather. It took me quite a while to come up with a polite response.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

My wife and I have 4 kids. We struggle to make ends meet. We have NEVER depended on the government to feed us or pay our bills-nor do we intend to do so.
I realize that there are many in poverty who can't help it-and since churches are not doing the good work of God, government must help those. Marie, what do you really think the percentages are of those in poverty by choice compared to those who are in poverty by circumstances they can't help?

10:26 AM  
Blogger mary bishop said...

Why should I be paying for some woman's family who has kids so she can recieve more tax-payer funded welfare?

--------

If I held your views I would certainly be pro-choice.

For a religious person, you sure seem to have a ton of hate in your heart. What would god say about your comments here?

2:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh My!! I can't believe that this delrod person was even replied to with such an ignorant statement as that.

ALL types of people live in New Orleans, the good the bad the ugly. the rich the poor. Everybody got screwed with that storm. What about the elderly or sick that couldn't escape thier opulent yet flooded homes? Or are you speaking in Darwinian terms...survival of the fittest.

Who'd survive and who'd die if we threw our families into a raging river without a life jacket? I guess it's okay if the infants and the elderly die, cause they're just not ambitious enough? What a crock of Sheeeeit.

Oh and delrod...don't you EVER put on a jazz cd, eat shrimp creole, or look at boobies ever again. You don't have the right after that comment.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home