Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Bullshit is bullshit

Let's say that I'm a member of PETA. And I'm really serious about it. Not only do I not eat animal products, but I think it's morally wrong to give other people animal products to eat. Unfortunately, my fascist boss at McDonalds is getting tired of me not doing my job and lecturing everybody who orders a cheeseburger, so he fires my ass. Now my state's trying to pass laws saying that my "right of conscience" allows me to not do my job.

Sounds like a bunch of whack-assed liberal bullshit, don't it? Well, this is pretty much exactly what is happening in about half a dozen states right now, only instead of vegetarians not wanting to serve people meat, it's pharmicists not wanting to give people birth control.
Now, if the pharmicist's boss tolerates this behavior, then that's fine. I don't think we should require drug stores to stock BC any more than we should require them to stock cigarettes and tylenol. But you should be allowed to fire somebody for not doing their job.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mags said...

Amen, sister. Don't pharmacists take some kind of oath by which they swear to provide life-saving meds to people who need it?

Not every woman who takes birth control pills takes them to prevent pregancy.

I'm just saying.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an excellent analogy. Need to remember that one for the next time I have this debate on the Right Wing Howler (come's up, really...don't ask).

My opinion...do your f*cking job, or go find another f*cking job! Nuff said.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I have to say that I've been following this story for a while, concerning a few pharmacy scenarios. It isn't really the same thing. The difference is more like the difference between OWNING McDonald's where you decide what to do, and working for a COMPANY who tells you what to do. Would you say a kosher deli would have to serve all entrees? Not really, because the OWNER has decided to run his/her business their own way as long as they follow the law. Now this is a legal question- can a pharmacist refuse to follow the business practices of their company (say, CVS?) NO. Because they willingly work for CVS. Now the law says that pharmacies must carry medications that are generally used in a community, and this aspect of law is really the dilemma here. Is the morning after pill a standard community drug? I don't think individual pharmacists who work for a company have the say but I would argue that legally self employed pharmacists have the right to conduct business as long as they follow the law. The LAW is what is being determined on this point.

I'm not saying it's a great thing, I am saying that we are often arguing about the wrong distinctions of the case. Its not as simple as a person working in a McDonalds not wanting to handle meat, of course we would say they should work someplace else and so should a pharmacist, to a place that permits the moralizing they enjoy.

5:56 PM  
Blogger belledame222 said...

Yepper. I've actually used the McDonald's analogy for this very idiocy (Burger King, I think I said, actually). Great minds, etc. etc.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home