the Day of Silence
Confession time: many many years ago, when I was a young and naiive high school student, I participated in the Day of Silence. My friend was the president of the Gay-Lesbian-Straight Education Club and...part of me actually thought that going around without speaking for a day would change the world.
Well, it seems to have made *some* impact: it looks like some Conservative organization is sponsoring a "Day of Truth". One day after the Day of Silence, students who think that homosexuality is "wrong" can go around telling us they think that!
An attorney from the organization says this:
How does homosexual behavior harm our society? I beg somebody who feels this way to explain it to me because I can't follow this argument. A lot of groups cite that homosexuals tend to be more promiscuous. Okay, I can see why this is bad: promiscuity is linked to increased rates of STDs, which is bad for society. Perhaps if homosexuals were allowed to get married, they'd settle down a bit, hmm? Homosexuals can't have kids, but it's not like our country is suffering a baby shortage. And the cornerstone of their argument, that homosexuality is "unnatural," is inadequate. Whether or not something is natural had no effect on how bad it is."No one is for bullying and harassment," Johnson said. "But that's cloaking
their real message — that homosexuality is good for society."


6 Comments:
I'd be pretty upset to find out that my parents ran off with somebody else, period...does it really matter who it was? It's not like it would be any better if Dad ran off with a supermodel and Mom ran off with the poolboy. I guess it would be an added shock to find out that *both* of my parents are gay, *and* that I'm adopted.
I'm not sure that a child would be shocked. Has anybody done any such research into child pshychology? I think everything depends on upbringing - if you are brought up in a loving, caring home where parents (hetero/homo) were honest, liberal, then a child might not be that affected.
I've researched this and haven't found anything about how kids with gay parents fare against kids with straight ones.
I really doubt that people are *born* thinking that homosexuality is wrong..just like we're not born liberal or conservative. So I don't think that a little kid would think there was something wrong with having two moms.
1) Heterosexuals indulge in pedophilia far more than homosexuals. Although due to the Catholic church's "problems" it might seem like *no* little girls are molested but they are in droves.
MEN molest more than women.
2) American Academy of Pediatrics says kids of gay parents do as well as any other kids who are brought up in loving homes. Loving being the difference.
3) Kids with two moms love their family just as kids with one mom, or kids being raised with grandparents or kids raised by dad, or kids in interracial homes.
4) Both homosexuals and heterosexuals can be promiscuous. Promiscuity (like AIDS or Polio) doesn't select a certain person...it's everywhere.
5) Gay people are everywhere too and because most of them aren't wearing tutus you don't know who they are. You'd be surprised to find out your co-worker, parent, son, neighbor, teacher, doctor etc. is gay but many are and just not out of the closet so they can spare themselves some of the hate-filled crap spewn by the bigots.
Truth: people who fear they might be gay or somehow tempted to be gay are the ones who appear the most viciously against homosexuality. If like me you are straight -- it isn't a problem. I love my gay friends with all my heart and wish I could stop the misinformation that spreads (like a virus!) around the net.
Regarding Gay Parents: How could you be shocked when it is all you've ever known and loved?
Homosexuality (contrary to popular opinion) isn't about abberant sexual practices. As far as I've seen, there isn't a single sexual act that has been performed by a homosexual, that a hetrosexual has not tried as well. BJ's and anal sex (many gay men are not into this at all) have a long history in heterosexual life. Promiscuity as MB stated is in the gay and straight world.
How would you feel if you woke up (the son) one day to find your mother cheating on your father with the pool boy and your father banging the secretary at his office? Does it sound familiar? Does it sound like America's new brainless pleasure "Desperate Housewives?" I think we should outlaw THAT show. Leave the loving and committed couples alone. Who cares if they have the same hoo hoos, or ha has?
Personally, I think people should stay out of other peoples bedrooms and private lives.
Hey if you plan any further coverage of the anti-gay "Day of Truth" this year I wanted to bring your attention to a Youtube video I made examining some of the more troubling aspects of the Day of Truth -- Specifically how the DOT is little more than a thinly veiled attempt to promote "pray away the gay" programs to queer youth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4-eDG3Bb0
This video covers the little discussed founding of the DOT by Tyler Chase Harper, a high-schooler who told his gay classmates they should be ashamed and are condemned by God. The video also reveals a great deal of troubling material on the DOT's website including information discussing anal sex, bathhouses and a fake medical condition made up by the anti-gay right called "gay bowel syndrome." Some of this material is furnished by Mission America, an organization that actually includes in it's mission statement the need to defend the nation against witchcraft.
-Dan Gonzales
(I myself am a survivor of one of the "ex-gay" programs promoted by the Day of Truth)
Post a Comment
<< Home