Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Good News

The White House accuses the Democrats of being timewasters, but whatever it is that they are doing, it's working: the administration is losing ground. Democrats are finally wise to the fact that this administration is way too close to the oil industry (Democrats can be naive sometimes). Your library and book store records are safe once again. The House has gone against President Bush and blocked the part of the Patriot Act that let's the government see what you are reading.
Not a moment too soon. At the risk of showing my age, sometimes I have a hard time remembering what things were like before Bush, before this Patriot Act nonsense. I'm going to a rally in DC tomorrow and my family is worried sick that I am going to be arrested. In 1998, I could have gone to an anti-Clinton protest wearing a shirt that said "Fuck you, Bill Clinton!" and been absolutely, 100% confident that as long as we didn't get violent, I would not be arrested, brought in, hassled, or anything. Now it's 2005 and I'm not so sure.
This is interesting: Terri Schiavo was, in fact, in a permanent, irreversible vegetative state.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you were in China, you would already be jailed for the above post, if you were in Zimbabwe you would be mobbed for such an anti-state view, if you were in Iran you would be dead already. You being able to come out in the open with these views is proof alone of the state of affairs in the united states, it might not be rosy but then again its not pitch black either.

3:47 PM  
Blogger mary bishop said...

....and the moral of the story Arrogantly, is: you aren't dead yet?

cb - I too remember freedom...hard to lose it so insidiously with so many fellow Americans happy to see it go...

Schiavo? It will never end...her family has been bathed in the light of the media glow and aren't ready to give it up yet. The manipulators or chess players as Doc Nos would say -- are still there to move the pieces.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home